Sunday, April 24, 2011

Participation in the Hemispheric Forum for Women-Participacion en el Foro Hemisferico de Mujeres



Greetings family.



I share with you another amazing experience. I attended the OAS, CIM, UN Hemispheric Forum- “Women Leadership for a citizens democracy” I was there in my role as the Diaspora Coordinator/ Panama of the Red de Mujeres Afro. I met so many wonderful women and men and reconnected with a few I met at the last OAS conference. As I shared with the Ambassador from Barbados when I saw him, he does wear nice ties. He shared that he recognized my voice right away when I presented my intervention.



As you will see in my pictures I was surrounded by women who immediately embraced me as an equal and as a sister.



Some of my highlights include, the words by Muni Figueres Ambassador of Costa Rica who said this to men in the space, “ Bendito sea usted entre todas las mujeres.” She also shared some reflective words of President Laura Chinchilla. When the President was asked, What does it feel like to be the first female President. She responded, “ I look to the day when we will not be asked that question.”



Another moment includes my intervention and exchange with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar. In her presentation, the Prime Minister stated that a “woman’s agenda is vital to sustainable development in our Region.” She spoke of the importance of a balanced agenda that includes women and children. I loved when she said with great clarity in her voice, “ Women are climbing out and onto the steps.”



In using her words and that of the Secretary General of the OAS, I asked the Prime Minister the following question, Women of African descent continue to face double discrimination of gender and race. On this year that the UN and the OAS have named the year of People of African descent, and as the Secretary General stated earlier, we face a high level of poverty in our community. Using your words Prime Minister, What do we need to do to create a clear agenda that is fully inclusive of women of African descent that will zero in on specific actions and suggestions?



The Prime Minister responded to many questions and waited to respond to me at the end. She addressed me by my name and thanked me for asking such an important question. She then looked at the Secretary General and at the UN Women Representative and said, this question merits a focus in this meeting that you will be having in the next few days. If not, then we are lacking in really responding to the needs of All women.



Yet, my favorite moment was any and every exchange I had with an Ambassador or Minister from the Caribbean. We laughed and shared stories as if we all knew each other for years. Just love that Caribbean love!! As you will see in the pictures, they were fabulous, elegant Black Women.

I give thanks to the ancestors for placing me in this space that feeds growth, clarity and voice to my community.



In peace

Yvette



Saludos familia,



Comparto con ustedes otra experiencia muy especial. Asistí al evento de la OEA, CIM, ONU Foro Hemisférico- "Liderazgo de Mujeres para la democracia de ciudadania" estuve allí en mi papel como el Coordinador de Diáspora/Panamá de la Red de Mujeres Afro. Encontré tantas mujeres y hombres maravillosos y conecté de nuevo con unos pocos que conoci en la última conferencia de OEA. Como compartí con el Embajador de Barbados cuando lo vi, lleva muy bonitas corbata. Compartió que reconoció mi voz en mi intervención. Como verá en mis imágenes estuve rodeada por mujeres que inmediatamente me abrazaron como igual y como una hermana.



Algunos de mis puntos culminantes incluyen, las palabras por Embajador de Costa Rica Muni Figueres, que dijo esto a los hombres en el espacio, "Bendito sea entre todas las mujeres". Ella también compartió algunas palabras reflectoras de la Presidenta Laura Chinchilla. Cuando le preguntaron come se siente en ser la primer mujer Presidenta de Costa Rica? Respondió, "espero el día cuando no se haga esa pregunta".



Otro momento incluye mi intervención y el intercambio con la Primera Ministra Kamla Persad-Bissessar de Trinida y Tobago. En su presentación, la Ministra indicó que una agenda de la mujer, es esencial al desarrollo sostenible en nuestra Región". Habló de la importancia de una agenda equilibrado que incluye mujeres y a niños. Adoré cuando dijo con gran claridad en su voz, "Women are climbing out and onto the steps.” A utilizar sus palabras y las del Secretario-General del OEA, yo le pregunté a la Ministra, las Mujeres Afrodescendientes continúan encarar doble discriminación de género y raza. En este año que la ONU y la OEA han nombrado el año de Personas Afrodescendientes, y como el Secretario-general indicó más temprano, encaramos un nivel alto de la pobreza en nuestra comunidad. ¿Utilizando sus palabras, Como creamos una agenda clara que nombra la inclusion de las mujeres Afrodescendientes que concentrará la atención en acciones y sugerencias específicas? La Primera Ministra respondió a muchas preguntas y esperó para responder a mí al fin. Me dirigió por mi nombre y me dio gracias para hacer tal pregunta tan importante. Ella entonces miró al Secretario-General y a la Representante de Mujeres de la ONU y dijo, esta pregunta merece un enfoque en esta reunión que usted tendrá en los próximos días. Si no, entonces nosotros no respondemos realmente a las necesidades de Todas las mujeres.



Todavía, mi momento favorito fue cualquier y cada intercambio que tuve con las/los Embajadoras/os y Ministras del Caribe. Nos reímos y compartimos historias como si todos nos conociéramos durante años. ¡ Adoro el amor Caribeno!! Como verá en las imágenes, ellas fueron Mujeres Afro fabulosas y elegantes. Doy gracias a las ancestras por colocarme en este espacio que alimenta el crecimiento, la claridad y la voz de nuestra comunidad.



abrazos

Yvette

No comments: