Thursday, December 27, 2012

KWANZAA- KUJICHAGULIA-SELF-DETERMINATION- MY NAME IS…..


KUJICHAGULIA-SELF-DETERMINATION- MY NAME IS…..

TO DEFINE OURSELVES, NAME OURSELVES, CREATE FOR OURSELVES AND SPEAK FOR OURSELVES INSTEAD OF BEING DEFINED, NAMED, CREDITED FOR AND SPOKEN FOR BY OTHERS

Caring and loving each other is what we will strive for in practicing this second principle of Kwanzaa.

In 2012 I felt showered, protected and guided by family members, mentors, friends, staff, Advisors, colleagues who moved with the energy of Kujichagulia-Self- Determination. As a community, as a people, I move with the thought that it is not about anti anything or anyone; it is about Pro US, Pro Black, unconditionally.

From creating healthy spiritual spaces, new institutions, expanding and growing, Kujichagulia-Self- Determination was alive in our community. The list of those who inspire me, support me and guide me is long and dear to me.  To each of you, thank you.

The example of this principle I would like to share highlights someone dear to me, my sister Michele. My sister exhibits Kujichagulia-Self-Determination in a way that makes you join in. She is determined to keep our family traditions and is amazing in making sure my niece and nephew know who they are and what they come from. My niece moves with a clarity that is unshakeable. My nephew validates that Black boys can succeed.

That fire showed up when my nephew was called the N-word at school.  His response was what I would expect from him and what we would hope from all of us. It was his way of defining himself and not letting his classmate do so for him.

When Christiaan’s classmate crossed the line, my nephew told him that he could not use that word to define him and that he came from a line of strong black people. He then walked to the Asst. Principal and told her what happened and that she needed to do something about it because it was not ok. When my sister received the call from school, they shared that Christiaan was visibly upset and he let them know that it was wrong.

When I got the call, I was so proud of him and my sister. Familia, my nephew is only 11 years old. I ask of us, Can we take on the energy that my nephew carried in 2013? My nephews act reminds me of the famous Fredrick Douglass quote, “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.”

I do believe that we can repair if we move with the same Kujichagulia-Self-Determination that Christiaan expressed. The N-word is used more than people’s birth given name. I have heard full conversations where no name is called to identify a person. I walk away asking, what is his name?

Another hope for the New Year as it relates to Kujichagulia is that we begin greeting each other as the King and Queens that we are. I grew up where I could not call an elder by his first name. It was seen as disrespectful. I have so many aunts and uncles because of this practice. Here is another one, Can we say good Morning and Hello to each other without fear. It should not be a shock to say Thank you. I then get, “You are not from here.”
 
In celebrating and reflecting on Kujichagulia-Self-Determination I would like to share a few lines that we can all repeat, sing, and chant as we move through the day.
 
We are determined to tell our a ancestors story
We are determined to honor the people who have shaped us.
We are determined to love each other unconditionally and find ways to heal as a community.
We are determined to protect our legacy
We are determined to be inclusive of all our voices
We are determined to move as Global Africans
We are determined to uplift our NAME
Ase O!

By embracing this Kwanzaa principle I will continue to meet you at the Root. I am determined to love you no matter what, no matter where you were dropped off, no matter what language you speak.  May Kujichagulia-Self-Determination, guide us as we hope and pray for the betterment of our people in this New Year.

 

In light,

Yvette

 

No comments: