Wednesday, December 26, 2012

KWANZAA- UMOJA-UNITY- I AM- YO SOY

 
 
 

Umoja-Unity- I AM- YO SOY

To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation and race

When I reflected on the meaning of today’s principle, my first thought was as a people, as human beings, we did not practice this too well in 2012. Yet, we did have some impacting Umoja moments.

What made them stand out? What can we take from these moments and carry them into 2013? I want to begin with the good. Good makes me smile and fills up my cup. The world today has bombarded us with a lot of bad.

As it relates to the Encuentro Diaspora Afro family, we gained a sense of clarity in defining who we are and what we are doing. With the guidance of one of our Advisors, we placed one word in our Mission/Vision statement that made a significant shift, “misinformation”. We are addressing the misinformation that has been written about us and by doing so we create, UMOJA-UNITY in our community.

We saw this happen in other spaces without extra effort because we met at a common place, a place of pain and need to speak the truth and make the deeper connection. That came when we facilitated two Wellness Forums. One of the forums, a Youth Forum, came soon after the shootings of four young women which brought to the surface the violence in the community. The others came during our book events, the TAK Ladies Radio Show, the release of the “Antologia de Poesia Colonense” and our most recent event with Francia Marquez.

Only the Encuentro Diaspora Afro staff saw when UMOJA presented itself on our Facebook posting. In choosing themes like celebrating Women’s History Month, Music Month, Hispanic Heritage Month from an Afro descendent perspective and Black History Month, we saw our page receive over 1,000 visits.  

Yet as wonderful as all these moments where, they are two moments this year that I came to believe that UMOJA-UNITY does exist and that it is easy to see and attain when moving from a place of LOVE. That is why I feel that as simple as it may seem, I AM- YO SOY became the unifying words of 2012.

I think both stories can be seen as personal and professional yet they landed on so many people.

One of the special UMOJA-UNITY moments came after a terrible accident of a dear childhood friend. Marc Owens and I have been friends since the fourth grade. Marc was always the classmate who made the effort to keep us all in touch with each other, to make sure we got together when we could. Even while in Afghanistan, he would send me emails asking me how I was doing. He did this across race and class and all you would say is, only Marc.

Marc suffered a terrible accident. On that same week I had heard from him as he wanted to know how the radio show was going. When I heard of Marc’s parachuting accident my heart felt heavy. Not him I said, He loved life and did everything he could to make you love life with him. Marc survived the accident and then came UMOJA-UNITY that made so many stand and say, I AM CHS- I AM MARC OWENS.

All our classmates, folks that went to our high school, even folks that went to our competing high schools poured out their well wishes for Marc. It was amazing to see. He brought out a sense of community, he is one of us, as we all awaited news about his recovery. We had another classmate take the lead, Hunter Tiblier. Hunter would update us and would share pictures. All these acts although simple brought us together from Hawaii, California, Florida, Panama, you name it. If you knew Marc, if you went to Cristobal High School, if you were a Zonian, Marc was on your mind. This one man brought a group of people spread all over the world together as we all cheered him on and were reminded how much we love each other.

While in DC at the State of the Black World Conference, while I was experiencing that Soulful Love, I took the time to visit Marc. I was excited and emotional but I knew this was right not only for me but for our immediate circle who wanted to know how he was doing. I did and my friend greeted me as he always did with appreciation and love. I took the time to call other friends so he could hear their voices. Once again I was reminded that our connection to each other runs deep.

So as I reflect on UMOJA-UNITY I give thanks to my dear friend, Marc Owens, for making so many of us pause and focus on him the way he did on us and for teaching us the meaning of UNITY that carries no borders. Thanks Marc!

My other very special UMOJA-UNITY moment came with the words, YO SOY which in English is I AM. After a painful reporting by Juan Williams of my home town of Colon, I came together with my friend, Mauro Martinez to write a Statement in Response to this report. Mauro and I have been sharing our love for Colon and hope for our people for months prior to this letter. We moved with the same passion and determination to help our people and to speak the truth, no matter the consequences. My admiration for Mauro, this fellow Colonense runs deep because we acknowledged the good and the bad but we were not willing to have someone who has no context, no history of our people to do it for us.

Familia, this letter landed before many Panamanians and many Colonenses all over the world. We received emails from people who just wanted to say, thank you, to us. Mauro is home in Colon so he would get stopped in the streets by folks saying, thank you. YO SOY COLON brought us together. It brought a community that has been beaten down and ignored for years together in a way that was so profound and moving and yes, filled with love.

Mauro and I decided to keep up this momentum and founded, Proyecto Yo Soy Colon. We have collective members who helped shape the mission, vision and purpose. One of the most important things about the project is that we are here to Uplift our Legacy. Our message that our people need to see each other in a new light is a leading force. This is not just about changing the external of our dear Colon, it is about the mindset and taking the time to look deeper into what needs to be done to make the shift that we so desperately need.

The words Yo Soy Colon had an impact while we faced the sale of land in Colon that was against the law. Colonenses took to the streets and all over we heard people saying, Yo Soy Colon, Y Tu. It came up again during the flooding’s that destroyed many homes. We then found comfort in those words.

One of my most treasured gifts of 2012 is my friendship/ collaboration with Mauro. It speaks to my love for my community in a way that words could not even explain. In 2013, we hope to continue sharing and uplifting our people. May UMOJA-UNITY continue to be our guiding force.

Now here it goes, it is about reflection and in reflecting one of the areas where I felt we lacked UMOJA-UNITY was amongst Black women. Our lack of UNITY was painful my sisters. The way we came after Gabby Douglas about her hair after this amazing young woman won an Olympic Gold was just wrong. It was distracting and gave others reason to look at us and shake their heads. We keep singing like India Arie, I am not my hair, but we are. My hair was a political and personal decision, we need to name it then move beyond it.

I am still thinking about my Queens. How can we be so upset about Gabby’s hair and not be furious at the way we are represented on most of these reality shows. We should be outraged that although it is not me or you on the screen, someone, somewhere, thinks that is how we all behave. In 2013 we need to figure this out.

As people of African descent we need to move past language or borders. A question pops up for me, has the plan to keep us against each other as said in the Willie Lynch letter really worked? We spend a lot of time beating each other up my people. Let us move into 2013 knowing that pain was everywhere and we can use that common pain to build UMOJA-UNITY.

There was also lack of human unity. A loss is a loss yet racism was screaming when it wasn’t a loss of someone who didn’t look like you.

UMOJA-UNITY is 2013 has to come from within. We have to do our internal work to make peace with our biases, racism, etc. If and when we do, then your eyes will be open and you will feel the pain of the young Black boy or girl, or of that teacher.

If the hope and love is there, then UMOJA-UNITY will arrive without the extra effort. Can we do it? Yes, we can. I believe in you. For 2013 can we name when those non UMOJA moments come up and work to make the shift in the moment?

Familia, I ask that you hold close those special moments I shared with you and allow them to define your movement.

We all carry Ache, a special internal fire, a gift, as I like to see it. It is how we decide to use it that will bring us closer together. On this day of Kwanzaa, allow UMOJA-UNITY to guide you and extend your hand to every brother and sister, each human being that stands before you. Let love be a guiding force.

In light,

Yvette

 

 

 

 
 
 

No comments: